Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Blessing or Burden?

I heard it today at an appointment downtown.
A mother exclaiming, "They're gone!  I'm free!!!  I am so happy to have my time back!"

I read it on Facebook, "The kids are home.  They are grumpy and tired.  I'm so annoyed!"

I overheard a group of mothers at the store earlier this week rejoicing that the time has come to "get rid of their kids", to "send them away" again so they can "get something done".

I cringe.


Does not the way we speak of our children reflect our feelings toward them?

Since when are we in such a hurry to rid ourselves of blessings?  Do we need blessings to flee from us so we can accomplish our daily responsibilities?  Are gifts of the Lord an annoyance?


If we love our children, if they are gifts and blessings from the Lord, are we patient with them, kind to them, and do we honor them?  Are we not easily angered?  Are we protecting them?  If we are rejoicing over their absence and announcing to the Facebook world our frustrations with them, are we truly loving them?
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."  1 Corinthians 13:4-7 










Our children are not our own.  They belong to the Lord who gives them to us for a short time, to love, to nurture, and to train.  We are to be an example to them as we train them.  Oh how fleeting are the days we have with them!?  Once each day is gone it cannot be taken back.  Do we make the most of each day?  

















Children are an undeserved gift.  A gift, a great reward and privilege, that comes with great responsibility.  Should we not accept and embrace that responsibility trusting that the Lord will provide ALL that is needed to raise the children he has gifted us with?
















Training children is not a simple task.  It takes tremendous sacrifice.  It requires selflessness.  Putting the needs of others before the wants, and sometimes even the needs, of our own.   












I challenge you today to examine the way you think of your children, the way you speak of them.  Are you depending on God for strength, for rest, and for provision as you sacrifice on your children's behalf?

Are your children a blessing or a burden?  Does your attitude toward your children reflect your answer?

Lord,
May we delight in our children, our blessings!  May our attitudes toward them and words spoken of them reflect the knowledge that they are your children entrusted to our care.  May we make the most of each day, training them in your ways by both our actions and the words we speak.  May we continually lead them to the cross!
Amen.

1 comment:

Kattie said...

Hi! My name is Kattie and I am stopping by to let you know about the My Father's World Homeschool Highlights! It is a weekly link-up where those of us using MFW can link up, share, and support one another. I hope you can join us, the info is on my blog.

http://2ladybugsandalizard.blogspot.com/

(We did MFW 1st last year and are doing ECC this year.)

PS I hear comments from others like that too. They don't understand how I can homeschool and be with my kids all day....I feel sad for them because they don't know what they are missing out on. Thanks for this encouraging post and reminder that this is what I am called to do!

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...