Friday, August 12, 2011

Banana Bread


Ever since I was a child, my mom would make this  - the most excellent banana bread.  It has been passed down as a family favorite.

Last night, a cooler late-summer evening, I decided to make a loaf.  Two actually.  One with nuts another without.  Banana bread served with fresh fruit is one of everyone's favorite breakfasts.  I especially like it because it can be made ahead and leaves little clean up in the morning!
After the little guys had showered and Isaiah and I had cleaned up from dinner, they all helped me to prepare the batter.  I remember well my job as a child, to peel and mash the bananas.  For some reason little boys find that job particularly amusing.




Isaiah joined in the fun with his brothers, even though he was sure to inform me that he could have baked the bread himself.  He certainly could have, but he and I both enjoyed the time spent together mixing, mashing and laughing at Noah.  Poor Noah sounded as though someone had hit the repeat button..."I have some?   Peas {Please}!?  I have some?  Peas!?"




Of course, once the mixing is done every boy stands in line for what they call "a batter lick". 
The best part...

Mom's Banana Bread


1 3/4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/3 c. shortening
2/3 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 c. bananas {2-3 mashed}
walnuts {optional}


Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda.  Cream shortening with sugar and well beaten eggs.  Blend with dry ingredients and bananas.  Grease loaf pans.  Bake in glass loaf pans @ 325 degrees for about 50-60 minutes.

No comments:

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...