Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Gratitude

Last week brought with it the annual Vacation Bible School.  A summer highlight for little guys.  This year the theme was "Jesus makes a difference everyday - on Main St."  The kids had snack at the Brown Bag Bistro and did crafts in the Fun Factory.  They played games at Firehouse Fitness and they acted out Jesus' parables in Parable Productions.  Each day brought with it a "Word on the Street".

Though I wonder how much kids retain from such a week, how often the seed of the gospel planted actually takes root, I often find myself thinking about the lessons taught.  I also see glimpses of how my own children process that which they learn or are reminded of.  The next few posts will speak of a 'Word on the Street' from this years VBS and a brief thought on each.

The first word is gratitude.  For what am I thankful?  There seems to be much in life for which thanks is due, and much else for which my natural reaction is to shrug and shake my head.  Finger prints on my dining room windows for example.  One more mess.  One more chore.  Yet one more reason for giving thanks to the Lord for his provision, for his blessing.

Thankful that I have a window that can be printed.  Thankful that there are children - three healthy and beautiful - to press little fingers against the cool glass.  Nose prints too perhaps as they press not only their fingers but their faces to see the woodchucks and rabbits in the back yard.  Thankful for creatures in the yard for the children to observe.  What joy they have had beckoning each other to the window to see.  The youngest climbing up on a chair... "Me see too!"  Thankful for truly joyful children, whose whole faces smile with such delight in the simple, the everyday.

After a lengthy time surrounded by darkness, by life's unfair ways, by hardship, illness, and pain, it takes effort to give thanks for all things, in all circumstances.  Today, I'm thankful for His grace and forgiveness, knowing that many days passed where my heart displayed anything but gratitude.  No matter how much effort was put forth, it was not enough to override the anger that burned within.
This, today, is my prayer.
May my heart overflow with gladness.  With thanksgiving.
With gratitude...
always and for everything to God the Father, in the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Psalm 100
A psalm. For giving thanks.
Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.
Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.
Know that the LORD is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.
For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.




1 comment:

Tenny said...

the post REALLY reminds me of the book i'm reading,"One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. I HIGHLY recommend it. enjoyable non-fiction and so heart convicting. and the woman who writed is a homeschooling, farming, mother of 6. i can relate a bit:)

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...